Type to search

Celebrity Crime

James Franco’s Sexual Misconduct Lawsuit: Pays $2.2M to Settle

Share

James Franco’s sexual misconduct lawsuit settles after a heavy payment! He has agreed to pay $2.2 million to settle a sexual misconduct lawsuit against him by his former acting students at his school.

The plaintiffs, Sarah Tither-Kaplan and Toni Gaal had accused James Franco and his partners of “sexualizing their power as a teacher and an employer by dangling the opportunity for roles in their projects.”

Details about the settlement for the lawsuit were made public in an LA Superior Court filing on Wednesday, June 30. A judge still has to approve the deal for the settlement, which was reached past in February.

James Franco's sexual misconduct lawsuit settles
The star James Franco settles sexual misconduct lawsuit

According to the filing, $894,000 goes “to settle the Named Plaintiffs’ individual sexual exploitation claims” and the remaining $1.34 million will be for a common fund to settle fraud claims.

Both parties have agreed to the following statement as part of the settlement: “While Defendants continue to deny the allegations in the complaint, they acknowledge that Plaintiffs have raised important issues; and all parties strongly believe that now is a critical time to focus on addressing the mistreatment of women in Hollywood. All agree on the need to make sure that no one in the entertainment industry, regardless of race, religion, disability, ethnicity, background, gender or sexual orientation, faces discrimination, harassment or prejudice of any kind.”

In March, the Oscar-nominated star’s legal team filed a demurrer calling for the dismissal of three causes of action against their client. James Franco’s lawyers praised the #MeToo and Time’s Up movements, but slammed the women’s lawsuit as “a travesty of justice.”


James Franco’s Sexual Misconduct Lawsuit Settles

Franco had opened Studio 4 in Los Angeles in 2014 with his business partner, Vince Jolivette, who was also named in the complaint, as was James Franco’s production company Rabbit Bandini Productions. However, the school closed in 2017.

The star James Franco settles lawsuit
Image source: glittermagrocks

The women’s lawsuit claimed James Franco intimidated student actors into performing sex scenes in an “orgy type setting,” all while promising “false hopes of acquiring job opportunities.”

“The reality was that was looking to create a pipeline of young women who were subjected to his personal and professional sexual exploitation,” the lawsuit added. 

The situations described in the lawsuit allegedly arose during a master class that James Franco taught at the school. The lawsuit alleges that to take Franco’s master class, students had to audition by simulating sex acts on film, which he watched to choose candidates.

Do you have a story to tell? Please kindly scroll down to get in touch with us within the comment box.

You can follow more information about celebrities, including their death, relationships, crimes, and all trending news about celebrities, on the celebrity news section.


Affects of James Franco’s Lawsuit

It is unknown how the lawsuit affects James Franco’s career long-term. Since winning a Golden Globe’s “The Disaster Artist” in 2017, James Franco starred in the HBO series “The Deuce” and directed a few films, including the drama “The Long Home.”

Previously, his longtime friend and frequent collaborator Seth Rogen said in an interview that has no plans to work with James and regretted saying he would in an interview in 2018 following the allegations. Seth Rogan also expressed remorse over a 2014 “SNL” joke about James dating an underage woman and addressed an Instagram post by actress Charlyne Yi, in which she said Rogen enabled Franco on the set of “The Disaster Artist.”

Seth Rogen also said: “What I can say is that I despise abuse and harassment and I would never cover or conceal the actions of someone doing it, or knowingly put someone in a situation where they were around someone like that.”


More articles:
Tyler The Creator Apologized To Selena Gomez For Past Tweets
“Dr. Alan Quartermaine” Stuart Damon’s Cause of Death Confirmed

Tags:

You Might also Like

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.