‘A Different World’ and ‘Sparkle’ Actress Mary Alice Passed Away
We received the most devastating news about an American film, television, and stage actress who is famous for her role as Leticia “Lettie” Bostic in A Different World. Mary Alice passed away on July 27, 2022. May she rest in peace.
She was born on December 3, 1941, in Indianola, Mississippi, U.S. Also, her birth year had been reported both as 1936 and 1941 in various sources. When she was very young, she followed the acting profession, starting her stage career in her hometown.
For a short time, she worked as an elementary school teacher, Alice returned to acting in the 1960s with community theater, and throughout the late 1960s and early 1970s, Alice worked her way up to stage productions in Manhattan’s East Village.
In “The Matrix Revolutions,” she played the Oracle and also played the role in the video game “Enter the Matrix.” She was cast in these two movies as the replacement of Gloria Foster.
Actress Mary Alice won an Emmy award and she is known for her roles as Leticia “Lettie” Bostic on NBC‘s “A Different World” and as Effie Williams in the 1976 musical drama “Sparkle”.
For two seasons, she appeared in “A Different World” and also play the role of Ellie Grant Hubbard in “All My Children” in the 1980s. Also, during her career, she participated in theatres too, including No Place to Be Somebody, A Full-Length Portrait of America, Fences, and The Shadow Box.
There is another well-known theatre that she played in which is Having Our Say where she had the role of Dr. Bessie Delaney. Alice got nominated for two awards, the Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Actress in a Play and Tony Award for Best Actress in a Play.
The movies that you might know her by are:
- To Sleep with Anger as Suzie
- Charlotte Forten’s Mission: Experiment in Freedom as Blind Lily
- The Bonfire of the Vanities as Annie Lamb
- Laurel Avenue as Maggie Arnett
- Ray Alexander: A Menu for Murder as Adele Thompson
- The Last Brickmaker in America as Dorothy Cobb
- The Matrix Revolutions as The Oracle
- and et Cetra.
There is no documented information about Alice’s marriage in official sources and it seems that she preferred to be single. She may be married, nonetheless, we don’t know if she has youngsters. She was a private person and kept her personal life away from the public eye.
Please Leave Your Comments, Thoughts, and Condolences For Us Right Below
Mary Alice Passed Away
It has been reported that Mary Alice passed away on Wednesday in New York City, according to the NYPD. There is no specific information about the exact reason behind her death.
It must be noted that US day News does not confirm nor reject any of this information about Mary Alice’s passing Please let us know if you read incorrect details or learn more information.
Alice was inducted into the American Theatre Hall of Fame in 2000, and she retired from acting in 2005. She achieved a lot of other honors during her acting career including:
- Won Tony Awards in 1987, for Best Featured Actress in a Play for Fences
- Won Drama Desk Award in 1987, for Outstanding Featured Actress in a Play – Fences
- Won Emmy Awards in 1993, for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series for I’ll Fly Away
- Won Independent Spirit Award Nomination in 1991, for Best Female Lead for To Sleep with Anger
- Won Black Reel Award Nomination in 2004, for Best Supporting Actress for The Matrix Revolutions
- Won CableACE Award in 1994, for Best Actress in a Movie or Miniseries for Laurel Avenue
On social media, messages of condolences were sent to Mary Alice’s family and loved ones. His friends shared their sadness through their Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter pages. May he rest in peace.
“I always felt Mary Alice was a criminally underrated acting marvel. She filled every role she played with such raw honesty and beauty. To me, she was one of the greatest character actors of her generation. Rest in beautiful peace.” ToryDevonSmith shared his point of view.
Subscribe to the US day News newsletter inbox to receive celebrities’ daily news