Teenage Motorcyclist Harry Dunn’s Killer In Court
The 45-year-old Anne Sacoolas, accused of being the teenage motorcyclist Harry Dunn’s killer, made her first court appearance at Westminster Magistrates’ Court via video link from the US on Thursday (September 29, 2022).
The US citizen had appeared in court to face a charge of causing the death of the 19-year-old motorcyclist Harry Dunn by dangerous driving following a collision outside a US military base in Northamptonshire in August 2019.
The chief magistrate announced theAnne Sacoolas she would be required to attend her following hearing – at the Old Bailey on 27 October – in jail. However, he stated, “That may change because there will be a joint application to allow you to attend by video-link as you have today.”
Previously, an extradition request by the Crown Prosecution Service was denied by the US State Department. She had diplomatic immunity asserted on her behalf by the US government after the crash outside RAF Croughton, and was able to leave the UK 19 days later.
It was revealed last year that she and her husband Jonathan both worked in US intelligence.
The family of Harry Dunn, including his parents Charlotte Charles and Tim Dunn, and twin brother Niall, were at court for the appearance. At the six-minute hearing, the defendant spoke only to confirm her name and date of birth as she followed proceedings next to her lawyer, Amy Jeffress.
Please Leave Your Comments, Thoughts, and Condolences For Us Right Below
Harry Dunn’s Killer Will Be In Jail
Since his death, Mr Dunn’s mother Charlotte Charles and father Tim Dunn have fought for Sacoolas’s return to the UK to face justice. A decision was finally reached to charge her in December 2019.
Mr Dunn’s parents are also pursuing several civil cases against Sacoolas and her husband at the Alexandria District Court in Virginia.
The chief magistrate Paul Goldspring told Mrs Sacoolas she would be required to appear in person at the Old Bailey. But he said that might change as there would be a joint application to allow Mrs Sacoolas to appear via videolink again.
The chief magistrate told the defendant the application would be decided by the judge at the crown court. The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) made the decision to charge Mrs Sacoolas with the offence in December 2019.
This is the first time the case has been heard at a British court, following a diplomatic row between the two governments. The Dunn family said they would not be commenting on the case until the conclusion of criminal proceedings.