Pensacola shooting investigation; Act of terrorism?
Sunday, Dec 8th Officials announced federal detectives were working on the presumption that the Pensacola shooting investigation on Friday was an act of terrorism.
Sailors from Alabama, Florida, and Georgia were killed, and eight were injured.
Mohammed Alshamrani, a Saudi Arabian Air Force officer who had been in flight training at the base for two years, opened fire in a classroom building on Friday, killing three sailors who ran toward danger to protect others, officials said. Several others were injured.
Over the weekend, US officials stressed that the Pensacola shooting investigation is in its early phases and that they were working to determine the gunman’s motive. “We don’t know yet if he was acting alone.
The FBI is investigating, and they’ve been interviewing, interrogating other Saudi students,” said the national security adviser Robert O’Brien in a report on Sunday morning.
Gunman, a 21-year-old student, Second Lt. Mohammed Saeed Alshamrani of the Royal Saudi Air Force, was shot dead at the scene on Friday.
Much remains unknown about the Royal Saudi Air Force officer who attacked Naval Air Station Pensacola in Florida, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
Pensacola shooting considered as Terrorist act
Many other Saudi students who were in the same training program are collaborating with the authorities, Ms. Rojas stated. All international students in the program have been accounted for, she said.
And the Saudi administrative officer has required his students to remain at Naval Air Station Pensacola.
“Our main goal right now is to confirm whether he acted alone or was he a part of a larger network,” Ms. Rojas spoke at a news conference on Sunday. “We currently assess there was one gunman who perpetrated this attack, and no arrests have been made in this case.”
The victims were Airman Mohammed Sameh Haitham, 19, of St. Petersburg, Florida; Airman Apprentice Cameron Scott Walters, 21, of Richmond Hill, Georgia; and Ensign Joshua Kaleb Watson, 23, from Enterprise, Alabama.
Deadly Shooting at the US Navy Base at Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day Ceremony on Saturday and Naval Air Station Pensacola has generated wide-ranging discussions about the policies governing weapons on military installations, especially the use and availability of firearms.
However, given the shooter was training at a US naval air station, it is notable that the Twitter account @M7MD_SHAMRANI re-tweeted a Military Times post about last month’s fatal crash at Vance Air Force Base in Oklahoma.
Condolences to the victims of the shooting
Pensacola shooting investigation inquired about the account, Twitter spokeswoman Aly Pavela confirmed the account was suspended and declared, “That’s all we have to share.”
Several aspects of what written in the message were pointed toward al Qaeda inspiration. The Twitter message stated, “America as a whole has turned into a nation of evil.”
Naval Air Station Pensacola, considered a place where more than 10,000 military and civilian work. Since many of these employees live off the base, conducting a thorough probe of every vehicle as it enters would be impossible. So the rules are typically more practical, and thus more lenient:
A car registered with the base, driven by someone with a government ID, enters without inspection. One can expect that in the aftermath of these shootings.
All or most military installations will be more restrictive for a while, although in time, those restrictions will likely be relaxed.
President Trump said on Friday that King Salman had called on him to express his condolences to the victims of the shooting in Pensacola, Florida, where the suspected murderer was identified as a Saudi citizen.
The United States has long had a robust training program for Saudis, providing assistance in the U.S. and the kingdom. More than 850 Saudis are in the United States for various training activities.
They are among more than 5,000 foreign students from 153 countries in the U.S. going through military training.
“This has been done for many decades. I guess we’re going to have to look into the whole procedure. We’ll start that immediately.”
Trump said on Saturday.